With the upcoming sequel-prequel of heavyweight films such Harry Potter, X-Men and Transformers 2009 will be another box office year for Hollywood but my early favorites and most anticipated films are dominated by animated features.
- Up – if it’s from Pixar it has to be (very) good. One Pinoy by the name of Ronnie del Carmen (with Bob Peterson and Thomas McCarthy) is one of the main writers, he mentioned this film during a rare local symposia here back in 2008 and I’ve been a fan since.
- Watchmen – considered as unfilmable during the 90s with all its snag here comes Zack Snyder’s version of the comic book-adaptation. But can he surpass his 300 masterpiece? That is the question.
- 9 – Shane Acker’s full-length edition of his 2005 Academy nominated animated short with the same title, co-produced by Tim Burton, should be an exciting film title to wait.
- Inglorious Basterds – with Brad Pitt as the leader of rag tag WWII Nazi hunters penned and directed by Quentin Tarantino — an spaghetti western-war film ensemble.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs – another animated film from Sony Pictures Animation with a premise — “scientist trying to solve world hunger encounters a problem of global proportions, as food begins to fall from the sky” , these should be fun. Another Pinoy I admire greatly (along with peers as Marcelo Vignali and Luc Desmarchelier) is part of these film, art director /concept designer Armand Serrano who’s done superb visuals for Surf’s Up, and lastly,
- Star Trek – the film traces the roots of the infamous Starship Enterprise (NC-1701) crew of young Kirk and Spock should a visual homily for die-hards of the most successful movie franchise ever. Beam me up, Scotty!